Postgraduate in Retail Design. Design and Concept: Branding
Postgraduate Diploma in Retail Design. Design and Concept: The Brand, degree awarded by Pompeu Fabra University (UPF) and ELISAVA Barcelona School of Design and Engineering.
From February-March to July (Spanish edition).
Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, from 5 p.m. to 9.15 p.m.
English and Spanish in two independent editions.
Year 2019-2020 (english edition): 6,050 € (plus 400 € in concept of registration fee).
• Graduates in Design, Fine Arts, or Communication.
• High level of Spanish (for the Spanish version) and English (for the English version)
• Basic knowledge of spatial representation in 2D and 3D.
How should we apply design to a commercial space? What should be taken into account when creating spaces for brands?
This master’s degree is designed for professionals who wish to acquire a complete knowledge on the field of retail design. However, within retail arena there are many disciplines we will cover you to in which you can develop with the utmost professionalism.
From small-scale and new formats to large-scale design, from boutiques to large multinational brands, we will explain how the differences are applied in each scenario, working directly with brands and briefings and getting great guest juries. Our guest companies are among other World Duty Free, IKEA, Swarovski and Vitra, among others.
Most areas are covered with theory and practice cases. Importance is given to the analysis and study of trends and innovation in the market and society to get a close-up view of the elements in designing a retail space arena (new formats, space, communication, flow, exhibition, virtual aspects, sensory perceptions, etc.). Art and analysis are the basis of any project and the concept and projection of space. We make every effort so students come away with the highest standards and ability to work with the most demanding companies in the market.
Postgraduate Diploma in Retail Design. Design and Concept: The Brand
MODULE 1. INTRODUCTION TO MARKETING THEORY / RETAIL BRANDING
- Marketing theory.
- Display of case studies.
-Group work: case studies (market comparisons by country, age, etc.).
-Discussion: sharing case study results.
MODULE 2.THE CHALLENGE OF BRANDING / NEW TECHNOLOGIES
- Introduction to the challenge of branding. A journey through the world of retail (introduction).
- New technologies: the transformation of consumption.
- The “tuning” phenomenon: customisation (the self factor). Discussion: association of elements and environments with consumer behaviour.
- Group case study. Introduction to branding and its varieties.
- Types and strategies.
- Brand analysis.
-Discussion: the process for analysing branding strategies.
MODULE 3. RESEARCH PROJECT
- Project presentation and development.
- Work in research groups.
- New trends and eco-design.
- Project presentation and group discussion.
MODULE 4.GRAPHIC ART / BRAND IDENTITY AND IMAGERY
- Design as strategy.
- Analysis of the search process for retail iconography.
- Values and trends.
- Case studies.
MODULE 5. FIELD TRIPS
MODULE 6. VISUAL - WINDOW-DRESSING
- Visual merchandising / product display / Fixtures & Flow.
- The principles of visual merchandising.
- Marketing applied to social shopping behaviour. Tour Shopping.
- Product analysis and strategy.
- Case study and exercise: business analysis and product display research.
- Models: effective display techniques.
-Window-dressing as a hook/attraction technique.
-States: the exchange.
-The dynamics of crossing: input-output, in-out.
-Exercise: how to capture a customer's social profile.
- The technique of window-dressing.
- Materials, lighting and technologies.
MODULE 7. TRENDS
- Market trends.
- New customers and customer segmentation.
MODULE 8.COMMERCIAL DESIGN AND IMAGE. BRAND / PROJECT
- Project presentation and development.
- Project development and exhibition.
- Presentation and discussion of proposals.
-Introduction: choosing environments.
-New lighting technologies and materials.
-The effect. Handling spaces (infographics, scenography).
-Group work discussion: analysis and selection of lighting and states for activity programs.
MODULE 9. FP-FINAL PROJECT: HANDS-ON EXERCISE WITH PARTNER COMPANY
- The project has to cover all modules developed throughout the course.
- Project presentation.
- Development of brief in groups.
- Presentation of findings to the partner company.
- Analyse the role the retail sector plays in commercial strategy at all levels.
- Explore retail types, their various functions, how to deal with demand for them, the role they play in economic and social activity, and the future challenges this sector faces.
- Demonstrate and analyse the design process for the development of a retail space arena.
- Identify and apply social and market studies, and learn how to interpret and work with this information to obtain an ideal design.
- Create a complete project for the design of a major retail space with all the aspects that need to be taken into account to bring it to a good conclusion.
- Domain of the conceptualization and realization of window display.
- Domain of strategic branding tools related to Retail.
- Knowledge of strategies, market plans and models of expansion.
- Domain of visual communication tools.
- Knowledge of Retail applied to virtual commerce.
- Domain of different trends in eco-illumination.